I recently read Ann Voskamp’s One Thousand Gifts, and though her writing wasn’t my favorite, I took on the challenge of writing down one thousand gifts in my life. I’m working on an attitude of thankfulness and joy, and this seemed a basic, tangible effort in that direction.
I’m only at one hundred, but here are some of my favorites thus far:
1. when shuffle plays “The way you make me feel…it really turns me on” (Michael Jackson) followed by “Saddle up your horses, we’ve got a trail to blaze…” (Steven Curtis Chapman).
16. when I can heard the kids spitting/blowing rubber bands right outside of our front door.
41. lightning bugs.
54. fairy sleeves on a shirt.
67. breakfast wrapped in a banana leaf for just 30 cents.
69. Stephen’s funny joke at an ideal time; so well timed that I don’t remember what it was but just that it was a gift.
73. animal print bandaids.
75. Yuh Meh Oo and all she is.
80. hooks; all hooks.
97. a solid house in the pouring rain.
99. a country that teaches me patience.