I’ll probably do a lot of these “random collection” posts, mostly because I think so many unrelated things and suddenly decide to declare them.
– We’re fairly certain at least some of our neighbors are Karen, and this gives us great joy–particularly when we understand them! After we played soccer with two boys today, we understood them say, “Drink water”–and I was able to run get them water! We’ve also understood a few small phrases, such as “Go home,” that we hear across the street. Though minimal, it promises us future relationships, and we’re excited to see what God will do with all of this studying. It’s keeping us motivated, at least!
– We had a wonderful trip to Chiang Mai last week, and really loved spending time with some friends there. We’re constantly realizing how different “the city” is from our little shady home in Mae Sot, but it’s a wonderful place to visit and rest, particularly as we develop friendships there! We also were successful at the US Embassy and we’re officially recognized as married in Thailand.
– Stephen was saluted by a neighbor as we started off on a run/bike ride (I run, he bikes) yesterday. Weird.
– We also had dinner this weekend and tonight with friends here in Mae Sot, and really, we’re just excited to be making friends. Especially ones that we like!
– Sometimes it feels like we’re just camping. (In a really nice tent, that is.) It’s a combination of our neighbors building a fire to cook each meal, being so close I can hear them cleaning their dishes and talking together, the heat, and the feeling I just may never feel clean again. The lizards on our walls and the occasional large spider doesn’t tell me differently, either.